Ella Means – Cotton Candy
daughter of Kimberly and Brett Means
Materials for body of costume:
• Tight fitting adult sized small t-shirt (this allows the cotton candy to look longer on the child)
• Pillow fill, such as PolyFil Polyester Fiber
• 2 cans adhesive spray
• 1 can pink spray, such as Design Master spray for silk flowers
• Pink base layers (long sleeve shirt and pants or tights)
• Large pillow
• Wig or shower cap
• Cute shoes to match!
Materials for cone:
• White poster board
• Pink ribbon, 10-12 inches long
• Glue gun
1. Remove poly-fil from bag and gently pull it apart. Spread on a surface covered in newspaper.
2. Spray poly-fil with pink spray until lightly covered. Allow to dry for at least an hour.
3. Grab your t-shirt and pull it over the large pillow. You can now see the shape you are working with. Make sure the pillow stays standing straight up.
4. Now to build the cotton candy! Take the adhesive spray and spray a small section of the t-shirt, then grab a small piece of the poly-fil and place it on the sprayed section. Hold it in place for 2-3 seconds. Continue this process until the entire shirt is covered, front and back.
Tip: If you want the cotton candy to look fuller, apply a second layer of poly-fil to the t-shirt by repeating the process above. You can make your cotton candy as fluffy as you wish!
5. Take the wig or shower cap and fill the inside with newspaper so you can really see the shape. Adhere poly-fil by repeating step #4. Allow to dry fully.
6. With the poster board, draw a quarter circle with a radius of about 14-16 inches. Cut out the circle and roll the poster board into a cone. Glue the pink ribbon to the inside base of the cone at opposite sides, directly across from one another. These are the straps that will be tied around the neck to hold the cone hat in place over the fluffy wig cap.
7. Step back and look at your creation. If you would like to add more pink color, simply spray on and let dry fully.
8. Assemble your costume! Put all the pink base layers on first. Take the pillow out of the t-shirt and pull the t-shirt of fluff on. Place the fluffy wig on your child’s head, placing the cone directly on top. Tie a pretty bow under the chin to hold the wig and cone on. Add some fancy shoes and you’re ready to hit the neighborhood for some equally delicious treats.