Red, White and Blueberries
Get ready for your Fourth of July celebrations with a simple red (strawberries), white (feta cheese) and blue (blueberries) salad! This simple salad is easy to throw together and compliments many different dishes or is a standout meal in the heat of the summer.
Strawberries are a natural pair with the acidity of balsamic vinegar. Find the ripest ones you can, preferably Louisiana grown! You can use any nuts you like; we prefer walnuts, almonds or pecans. If you need to make the salad vegan friendly, just omit the cheese.
You can also make the salad dressing up to three days in advance. Just refrigerate until you’re ready to complete the salad.
If you’re wary about red onions and their strong flavor, try this tip: soak the onion slices in cold water for about 15 to 20 minutes before serving. This mellows the flavor.
Strawberry Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
1. Wash and slice the strawberries. Wash and dry the blueberries. Wash and dry the salad greens. Thinly slice the red onion.
2. Make the balsamic vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, and kosher salt. Then gradually whisk in the olive oil 1 tablespoon at a time until fully emulsified and creamy.
3. To serve, spread the greens on a plate and top with strawberries, blueberries, red onion, almonds, feta cheese crumbles, vinaigrette, and several grinds of black pepper.
For the Salad:
• 2 cups ripe strawberries
• 1 cup blueberries
• 8 cups mixed salad greens or spinach (or both!)
• 1/2 red onion
• 1/3 cup sliced almonds or pecan pieces
• 1/3 cup feta cheese crumbles
• Fresh ground black pepper
For the Balsamic Vinaigrette:
• 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
• 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
• 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or honey)
• 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
• 6 tablespoons olive oil
2.0 oz. 360 Huckleberry Vodka
5 oz. Lemonade
Mix together the 360 Huckleberry Vodka and your favorite lemonade. Serve over ice in a Collins glass, garnished with a lemon wedge. This refreshing drink is perfect with a light, crisp summer salad, or by itself poolside. POV