Surprising Health Benefits of Dark Chocolate
The fact that dark chocolate is good for you is the best medical news we have heard in a long time. Researchers have found that a moderate amount of dark chocolate combined with a balanced, healthy diet can help ease many health conditions.
Made from the cocoa bean, dark chocolate is rich in powerful antioxidants known as Flavonoids. Flavonoids help protect cells and tissue from damage against stress. Currently, researchers are identifying over 40 health benefits from the cocoa bean including heart health, insulin resistance, mood enhancement and brain health, to name a few.
As with anything, moderation is key. A single serving of dark chocolate is 1.5 ounces which contains 220 calories so just keep in mind to balance your calorie intake to avoid excess weight gain. Also, opt for dark chocolate with at least 70% or higher cocoa bean to truly get the antioxidant benefits.
Skinny Dark Chocolate Zucchini Bread
• 1 ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
• 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
• ¾ cup dark baking cocoa
• ¼ cup sugar
• 1 ¼ tsp baking soda
• 1 ¼ tsp cinnamon
• ½ tsp salt
• ½ tsp baking powder
• 3 eggs
• 2 cups grated zucchini
• 1 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
• 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
• 1 ½ tbsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 325° F. Grease two 8-inch loaf pans with nonstick spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients.
3. In another medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, zucchini, yogurt and applesauce together.
4.Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and stir until combined (careful not to over mix).
5. Pour the batter between two loaf pans and bake for 30-40 minutes.
6. Allow the loaves to cool for 10 minutes before flipping the bread out of the pan.