If high winds and heavy rain knock out your power during a storm, a generator can help restore power to your home. Ryan Truxillo, MD with St. Bernard Parish Hospital offers the following generator safety tips:
It’s important to take precautions when operating a generator because they produce carbon monoxide gas. Breathing in too much carbon monoxide could cause fainting or death. According to the CDC, more than 20,000 Americans visit the emergency room and more than 400 die from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning each year.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are often flu-like and include:
Remember – you cannot smell, taste or see carbon monoxide. Protect yourself and your family by installing battery-operated carbon monoxide alarms in your home. If it goes off, call 911 and go outside.