Week 5 scores
Central Lafourche 20
E.D. White 14
H.L. Bourgeois 6
South Lafourche 37
Northlake Christian 36
Morgan City 35
Pearl River 13
East Jefferson 41
South Terrebonne 6
Belle Chasse 7
Ascension Catholic 42
Central Catholic 40
Houma Christian 26
Crescent City 20
Week 6 games
Central Lafourche @ Terrebonne
H.L. Bourgeois @ New Iberia
Westgate @ South Lafourche
Thibodaux @ Rummel
Ellender @ Assumption
Morgan City @ Franklin
South Terrebonne @ Vandebilt
Brusly @ E.D. White
Berwick @ North Vermilion
Patterson @ Kaplan
Fisher @ Central Catholic
Highland Baptist @ Covenant Christian
Ecole Classique @ Houma Christian
Prep Football Week 5 by the Numbers
276: The number of yards Vandebilt one-two punch Elijah McGuire and Aaron Smith combined to accumulate against Belle Chasse’s solid defensive unit.
11: The number of yards that separated E.D. White from victory Friday against Central Lafourche. Down by six late in the game, the Cardinals’ final drive stalled deep in Trojans’ territory.
8: The total turnovers H.L. Bourgeois’ offense had in Friday’s 46-6 blowout loss to Thibodaux. The Braves threw six interceptions and lost two fumbles.
Week 5 players of the week
Houma Christian halfback Nate Frye – Frye proved yet again that he is one of the most elusive players in the area, rushing for 75 yards and receiving for 99 more in a three- touchdown effort.
South Lafourche quarterback Colby Callais – This guy is a true dual-threat quarterback. Combining for more than 300 all-purpose yards, the Tarpons’ quarterback punched Terrebonne in the gut early and often to keep his team unbeaten. He is such a steady force for the team’s offense.
Thibodaux’s defense – Forcing one turnover is golden in today’s offensive-minded football. But the Tigers’ defense forced eight against H.L. Bourgeois in a blowout win. Look out for the Tigers in the second half of the season if they continue to force opponents into mistakes.
The Power 6 (Ranking the top six teams in the area, according to Sports Editor Casey Gisclair)
1. South Lafourche – Not even a 30-plus-minute rain delay could cool South Lafourche’s explosive offense Friday against Terrebonne. With E.D. White’s loss, they are now the undisputed cream of the crop in the area.
2. Vandebilt – The Terriers are really rounding into shape and have become one of the top teams in Class 4A. Elijah McGuire is well worth the price of admission. I strongly recommend him to any football fans looking to check out a game on a given Friday.
3. Morgan City – Time will tell if the Tigers can stay this high for the entire season. But with a 4-0 record laced with all blowouts, how can we deny these guys some big-time love?
4. E.D. White – Central Lafourche is a much improved team from last season. But with that said, I was shocked to hear that the Cardinals dropped their first game in Mathews. We’ll see if they can make up for it Friday in a huge district opening game with Brusly.
5. Thibodaux – The Tigers are beginning to build some steam. Their preseason win over Zachary looks far more impressive now that we see just how good a team Zachary is.
6. Patterson – The Jacks were only out of our list for one week. After dismantling Berwick, they hop right back into the top six. Like Thibodaux, their resume got sweeter this week – thanks to Central Lafourche – whom the Jacks beat earlier this year.