Surprising Health Benefits of Citrus Fruit
Citrus fruits not only pack a refreshing taste but are also rich in nutrients. One medium orange provides 120% of the daily recommended value for Vitamin C. Here are five other great reasons to incorporate these delicious fruits into your diet.
1. Calm a Cold: Being packed full of Vitamin C, citrus helps boost your immune system and may decrease the length of cold symptoms by as much as one to one-and-a-half days for some people.
2. Skin Saver: The nutrients found in citrus fruits promote wound healing and keep your skin, teeth, bones and cartilage healthy.
3. Boost Weight Loss: The fiber and water found in citrus helps keep you full all while being low in calories.
4. Cut Out the Salt: Citrus is a great way of flavoring foods in place of salt, which will help to lower your sodium intake.
5. Portable Snack: Because of their thick rinds, citrus fruits make for great portable snacks so simply throw it in your work or school bag for a quick and easy snack.
Flank Steak with Chipotle-Lime Sauce
• 6 tbsp olive oil, divided
• ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
• 3 tbsp fresh lime juice, divided
• 1 ¼ lb flank steak
• 1 cup fresh parsley
• ¼ cup fresh cilantro
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1 chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce from can
• 1 tsp lime zest
SERVINGS: 5 – 4oz portions
1. In a small dish, whisk together 3 tbsp olive oil, soy sauce, and 2 tbsp lime juice. Add steak, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, flipping midway through.
2. For the sauce: In a food processor, combine parsley, cilantro, garlic, chipotle pepper, lime zest, 2 tbsp oil, and 1 tbsp lime juice. Process until well combined.
3. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a grill pan over medium-high heat. Cook steak, turning once, until internal temperature reaches 145F (8-10 minutes for medium rare).
4. Let steak rest 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with sauce.