Avocados as a Superfood
Did you know that avocados are a fruit? Avocados are a versatile superfood that provide your body with not only healthy fats, but fiber, vitamins and minerals too. Avocados have heart-healthy benefits and can help lower your LDL (bad) cholesterol. They can also help manage your blood sugar and help with weight management. Avocados are also rich in nutrients that help keep you feeling full longer, which can lead to less snacking between meals.
A serving of avocado is about 1/3 of a medium avocado – this contains 80 calories, 8 grams of heart healthy fats, 4 grams of carbohydrates, 3 grams of fiber, no sugar and 1 gram of protein – as well as about 20 different vitamins and minerals.
How to store avocados:
• Keep them at room temperature (uncut) to ripen.
• To slow the ripening process, store them in
• Prevent browning by squeezing lemon or lime juice on the cut portion and tightly covering the avocado to be stored in the refrigerator for up to a day.
• Try spreading on toast instead of butter.
• Add slices to a salad or sandwich.
• Make festive guacamole.
• Use as a substitute for butter and oil in baked goods.
Creamy Avocado Salad Dressing
• 1 large avocado
• 1 clove garlic, peeled
• ½ tbsp. fresh lemon or lime juice
•3 tbsp. olive or avocado oil
• ¼ tsp. salt
• ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
Makes 8-2 tbsp servings
1.In a food processor, add the peeled garlic, avocado, lemon or lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
2.Process until smooth. Scrape down sides. Thin the salad dressing out with a small amount of water until it reaches a desired consistency.
3. Store in an air tight container for up to a week; 3 to 4 days is best.